Saturday, January 9, 2010

Eco Antiques: The Answers are in the Past


(photo provided by LSA)

Sometimes I wonder how "green" an eco-product really is. Sometimes, the cynic in me is frustrated by the whole eco-movement, especially in the home products arena. Somehow, the real need to take better care of our environment turned into a brand new marketplace for capital gain. No I'm not a Communist, I thoroughly enjoy most of the benefits of Capitalism, but I still have a conscience and observing eyes. I bet my savings that most of the flyover states think they're doing right by Mother Earth when purchasing Breyers "organic" ice cream, and yet they know nothing of LEED Certification or the term "carbon footprint." This worries me.

Oh, here’s another observation. What’s up with 300-thread count organic sheets costing more than regular 600-thread count cotton? Um, I care n’ stuff, but this is a no brainer, I’m sleeping on the 600.

Ok enough criticisms, that's not what this blog's about... this blog's about ideas for stylish living, so here's my take on going green: BUY ANTIQUES. Wouldn't you say that an object that has made it through the ages is truly sustainable? And, the fact that nothing new is being created helps us maintain our natural resources. Not to mention, if you buy an antique near home, you wouldn’t incur the carbon footprint of shipping from overseas. Above all, I love that a solution to our environmental challenges can be found in the past. I also enjoy challenging the visual image of what people think eco should look like.

All I'm saying is that bamboo flooring and solar panels aren't the be all and end all for solutions, rather, think about antiques as a stylish solution to our current environmental concerns.

-S

No comments:

Post a Comment