Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Causing A Commotion


Those who know me know that I generally shy away from reblogging from other design sites... I find that it's the only way to secure authentic and unaffected content for your reading pleasure, and I'd just personally hate to be considered an echo-chamber in the blogosphere. That being said, I always look forward to the monthly Design Commotion blog. Actually, Design Commotion's format is less like a blog and more like an online newsletter getting you up to speed on design on both a national and often international level. The format is geared at giving quick bites of info instead of full page articles, and my undiagnosed ADD brain truly appreciates that. I particularly enjoyed one of the latest pieces on the “Do hit” chair by Marijn van der Poll at Droog in SoHo.

"Van der Poll describes the chair as an interpretation of Enzo Mari’s Sof-Sof chair. It is produced as a steel cube and beat into a submissive seat with the hammer. “Repetition of the beating only strengthened the concept,” the designer said. “The Do hit can either be shaped by its owner or by me.” I’d say the Dutchman has cornered the anger-management market." - Design Commotion.

As a design observer reading this latest post, I can't help but try to forecast shifts in the way people like to live. It's my belief that we'll be seeing more furniture like the "Do hit" chair, as idiosyncratic designs begin trending in the mainstream design market in 2010.


-S

No comments:

Post a Comment