Monday, December 7, 2009

Patrik Rzepski: Straps & Horsehair


Patrik Rzepski is a New York-based fashion designer. His aesthetic derives from punk rock, violence and teenage angst. He's best known for his odd inspirations, such as Myra Hindley, the child-murderess, and JonBenét Ramsey. Some in the industry are calling him a younger Alexander McQueen, but I think his talent has a P.O.V. of his own. Always on the moodier side of romance, Patrik's aesthetic is sexy, sophisticated, mixed with a little bit of darkness. I won't spiel you, so let's just get into a quick interview I did with Patrik instead:

SY: With past collections inspired by the mystery behind JonBenét Ramsey, notorious English Murderess Myra Hindley, and infamous '70s gang of German terrorists Baader Meinhof, is it safe to say that you are a subversive hardass obsessed with murder?

PR: Inspiration comes from everywhere. I think people are more drawn to those reference points. In the end, the inspiration becomes quite romanticized, nothing is literal.


SY: It seems like the most genius artists in this world are also dropouts. No matter how relevant the school is, it just can't give you that innate talent that will ultimately be needed to "make it." Was there a moment that made it crystal clear for you to leave school?

PR: At the end of my first semester during finals, the director of the fashion department saw my final and asked what class I was teaching. I think you can never have "too much" education, however school was not for me and luckily fashion is an arena in which experience counts for just as much if not more.


SY: I'm a native Angeleno, so I always try to throw in an LA question when appropriate, here goes: Rick Owen's said something like "LA should stick to sitcoms and leave fashion to NY," How do you feel about that perspective? How do you feel about LA and fashion?... I mean, on the one hand we have natives like Paris Hilton (boo) and on the other we have the fashion genius of MK Olsen (yay.)

PR: I will agree with anything Rick Owens has to say, but I also think that LA can't help but be celebrity centric and unfortunately that dilutes and distracts from what's actually going on, but I have no idea what if anything, is going on in LA.


SY: I love collabos in fashion, especially when the avant garde and mainstream come together. Jil Sander's doing a line for Uniqlo, Rogue Gallery is doing a line for LL Bean, Raf Simons did one for Eastpack, etcetera, etcetera... If you could do a line for the masses, who would you collaborate for?

PR: I would definitely be up for doing a collaboration, I've been crushing on Nike.


SY: Is it true that you once buried a dress in your parents backyard before digging it up and sending it out on the runway? Explain?

PR: True, for S/S 2004 I dug a trench in the yard and buried a pink linen party dress and left it for 2 weeks to give it a bit of femininity and gore.


SY: FAVORITE CITIES...

SY: For life?
PR: Barcelona/Madrid

SY: For love?
PR: Brighton Beach

SY: For fashion?
PR: Milwaukee

SY: For your work... biggest market/buyers?
PR: Asia

SY: For food?
PR: Paris

SY: For sex?
PR: Current Location

SY: For inspiration?
PR: New York


SY: I can't live without...?

PR: Coffee/Peter/Ipod


SY: If I could only buy/afford one thing from your collection, what should I buy? Is there a definitively P Rzepski piece?

PR: Anything with straps/horsehair


SY: What's upcoming for you? What would you like to communicate to us for your line in 2010?

PR: You're so chic, you're so sheer, teenage rebel of the week


SY: Where will you be for New Year's Eve?

PR: I will be doing the Polar Bear Swim @ Coney Island again on New Year's day, so nothing wild

No comments:

Post a Comment