Monday, November 9, 2009

The Artist Formally Known as PRINTS!


I'm not a shopper-type, per se’, even though I was raised smack dab in the hotbed of consumerist culture, AKA: United States of America. Something about owning an object makes me feel like the object is owning me. I don't know if that makes sense, but in any case, there are some things that I do enjoy collecting from time to time. If I had to say, I guess I'm a sucker for stimuli in my purchasing habits… ART!

For instance, I have a thing for buying prints. I love how on the one hand they're made in a way that's optimal for mass production, but then on the other hand they're often printed in limited edition series, signed and dated. I love how each print has a unique imperfection made during the creation process, and I love how simple they look - especially letterpress prints that usually use no more than 3 colors. Letterpress is my favorite printing method.

I just purchased this wonderful set of 3 prints by Maria Alexandra Vettese and Christopher David Ryan out of Maine, and I can't wait to have them framed and hung in my new place. The set is called "Staring at the Sun," and the 1st print (the girl with the oversided sunglasses) alone sold me on it! The retro tone, sexy B&W mood and galactic subject matter all work for me.

Just to backtrack on this talk of prints, this whole thing started when I was looking for a class on letterpress printing in L.A. I'm trying to find a course/factory/artist or anyone who could teach me techniques in printmaking. It's my 2010 resolution to make more art, rather than just observe it or communicate it on my blog.

In a nutshell, I wanna make kick-ass letterpress posters with all the ideas that are crowding my brain... can anyone show me the way?

-S

No comments:

Post a Comment