Thursday, September 10, 2009

REDHEADS by Joel Meyerowitz


On any given weekend, you might find me at one of the many mom n' pop used bookstores here in greater L.A . I like to collect out of print art books, and although Amazon has an nice inventory online, I prefer the action of rummaging through the shelves and piles. I mean, in this technological age, the used bookstore is like stepping into a time machine for an adventure. When you find that gem, it's really a satisfying experience.

Just last week, I found this old Rizzoli book called Redheads at Brand Bookshop in Glendale (yes, Glendale!) In any case, it's a wonderful photography book just begging to sit on a coffee table.

Redheads by Joel Meyerowitz is a collection of photography highlighting the unusual, exotic, and often flamboyant qualities of redheads. His fascination came from spending a summer in Cape Cod, a town with a disproportionate number of redheads. The intention was to photograph this slender slice of the genetic pie (only 2-3% of the population) to show the familial connection between a group of strangers.

Long story short, visit your local bookstore. Even better, send me an email if you know of a shop that should be on my radar, please.

-S

No comments:

Post a Comment