Monday, December 17, 2007

Zeppelin, By Marcel Wanders

In design, there's always a fine line between referencing the past and regurgitating old ideas. It is my belief that the future of design cannot be found in an earlier period of time. That being said, I introduce Marcel Wanders & the Zeppelin Chandelier.

A juxtaposition of new & old. The old; classic chandelier, 12 spires made from steel with transparent candle shaped lights. The new; coated in a silk-like resin creating a cocoon. The effect; light perfectly diffused and each pendant lamp different since the random application of resin creates a unique pattern on the shell.
Only $2,760.

This is why we love the designer:

“I’m a sort of amateur, and amateurs aren’t so sure about things so they investigate and bring new ideas that experts might overlook,” says Wanders. He adds, “I work with durability in design—products worth bonding with for a lifetime. I have an overall respect for ourselves and the world, and I think this respect is the basis of good design.”

www.marcelwanders.com






No comments:

Post a Comment